- Name: Mathematics Graduate Students Association, hereafter known as the Association.
- Purpose: The purpose of the Association shall be:
- to add unity to the graduate students of the department;
- to act as a liason with the staff for discussions, planning and general communication with them;
- to keep graduate students informed about events in the Department both intra- and extra-curricular, particularly when they are directly concerned;
- to get to know other students better and to promote dialogue between them;
- to assist in planning social, sporting and other events in the Department;
- to participate in and encourage any activities which will further these aims.
- Membership: All full and part-time graduate students registered in the department shall become members of the Association.
- Executive: The executive of the Association shall be composed of:
- the mathematics representatives to the GSU,
- The mathematics representatives to CUPE,
- the student representatives on the Departmental Committees,
- the members of the Social and Graduate Seminar Committees
If this total is less than nine members, additional members shall be elected by the members of the Association. Elected from the members of the Association shall be the Officers of the executive comprising of the positions of President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The positions of President, Vice-President, and Treasurer shall be held by distinct members of the Association. The executive shall meet as required. A majority of the executive shall constitute a quorum.
- Elections: All members who will be at the University for their term of office are eligible to be members of the executive. Elections are to be held each year in September to elect the Officers and fill all of the positions of the executive except the graduate seminar committee. An election is to be held each year before the end of the Winter session to elect the members of the graduate seminar committee. The call for nominations shall be sent via email to every member in attendance at the University of Toronto. Ballots shall be placed in the mailboxes of every member in attendance at the University of Toronto.
- General Meetings: At least one general meeting must be called in September each calendar year. Fifteen percent of the members in attendence at the University shall constitute a quorum for a general meeting. A general meeting can be called at any time by request of the President, or upon petition by one third of the executive, or upon petition by 15% of the members at the University. Every general meeting and its agenda must be publicly announced.
- Recalls: Executive officers may be recalled by a two-thirds vote at any general meeting.
- Financial Responsibility: Any funds held by the Association shall be deposited in an account at a nearby bank and shall be the responsibility of the President and Treasurer. Members may not contract debts on behalf of the Association. All cheques must be signed by both the President and the Treasurer.
- Amendment of the Constitution: This Constitution may be amended at any general meeting by a two-thirds majority of the members present, provided that the proposed amendment has been distributed to the members at least one week prior to the meeting.
mgsa [at] studentorg.utoronto.ca
Other Useful Links